L&D forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

10 tips to enhance your organisation’s e-learning

Notify me of new replies via email
Learning and development | 26 Oct 2016, 02:24 PM Agree 0
L&D looks at 10 e-learning tips to help your organisation motivate and engage adult learners
  • Raghida Zamzam | 01 Nov 2016, 09:37 AM Agree 0
    Nice post! I agree with you on that subject-matter experts should produce an engaging learning content that follows instructional design principles. The instructional designer may need to adopt the problem solving approach after conducting a thorough analysis of the audience or the learners to determine the number and types of appropriate tactics to include. While ADDIE comprises the father of instructional designs models; it is based on a systematic product development concept. Reiser and Dempsey (2012), noted that ADDIE continues to be an effective instructional tool today although it is not specific or a fully elaborated model. However, according to Bates (2010), the instructional systems design model is ineffective and does not work. As a result, no one uses it although many of the contemporary instructional models stem their strategies from ADDIE (Bates, 2010). One of the drawbacks of using ADDIE as mentioned by Reiser and Dempsey (2012) is that it breaks up complex skills into separate smaller components without integrating them into a coherent unit. The future trend of instructional design should focus on the “whole task” or the Pebble-in-the-Pond models where the learner will be introduced to progressively harder tasks to complete and integrate them at the end of the course (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012). The effective instructional design model should include a combination of learning theories, behavioral, cognitive, situated, constructive, and Gagne’s theory. The behavioral theory’s main concern is to study the psychology of the learner. Meanwhile, the cognitive theory studies the brain’s capacity of absorbing new information. The situated theory focuses more on the learning environment, including classroom setting or online setting. The constructive theory is where the new information will be built upon the prior knowledge of the learner. The Gagne’s theory is to stimulate the learners and attract their attention (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012).

References
    Bates, T. (2010). The future of instructional design – or my heart belongs to ADDIE. Retrieved from http://www.tonybates.ca/2010/06/08/the-future-of-instructional-design-or-my-heart-belongs-to-addie/
    Reiser, R. A., & Dempsey, J. V. (2012). Trends and issues in instructional design and technology (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: PEARSON.
Post a reply