L&D forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Behaviorism, cognitivism and self-regulated learning

Notify me of new replies via email
Samantha | 28 Oct 2015, 09:14 AM Agree 0
Hi all, I have a bit of a theoretical question for everyone today... I've been looking back over my old text books and remembering the old learning theories of behaviorism, cognitivism and self-regulated learning. Do you think these are still relevant today for the practice of workplace learning?
  • HW at The Ethicos Group | 05 Jul 2016, 11:36 PM Agree 0
    It depends. Firstly, on how old the textbooks are... I would not be too worried about anything published after about 1965 by a good author recognised as an expert in each of these three fields. But these labels have been open to wide interpretation, workplace experiment, and academic research and argument for 40 years now, so some caution is needed.

For Adult Learning which is to be applied in workplaces - which is what almost all workplace 'training' is about - I greatly prefer Cognitivism (Malcolm Knowles etc) and self-directed learning models - especially if creativity, problem-solving, values-based reasoning skills, and critical thinking skills are expected outcomes. Lots of very valuable original thinking and source material was written on these two approaches between 1965 and 1995, in the US, UK, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.
Post a reply