L&D forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

How leaders can get leadership wrong

Notify me of new replies via email
Learning and development | 21 Mar 2016, 01:36 PM Agree 0
Traditional tools of leadership are not doing the job for these times, one expert tells L&D Professional.
  • | 21 Mar 2016, 05:30 PM Agree 0
    Great article and good insights about a leaders need to be an influencer. I would question that soft skills take longer and involve many meetings though. When premised with a strong and mutually agreed objective, engagement of staff through autonomy to get on with the job and good guidance from leaders, a shift to an intelligence conversational style is quicker than a directive style if you are measuring attributes such as building capability, creative thinking and initiative to name a few. Furthermore, you build the discretionary effort mentioned and your staff become less reliant on the leader to get permission for the next "task" freeing the leaders for more strategic input. If I can also add, when managing through guidance and support with people that have a level of autonomy and agreed objectives, you can rightly expect results from your team, after all, we're working with there goals. It is more difficult to hold people accountable for results when they have no say.
Post a reply