L&D forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is the 70:20:10 model a training fad or something more?

Notify me of new replies via email
Learning and development | 22 Aug 2016, 01:20 PM Agree 0
Many organisations around the world follow the 70:20:10 training model. Are they on the right track?
  • Denis Hitchens | 22 Aug 2016, 04:14 PM Agree 0
    Learning in the workplace happens whether we like it or not. Back in 1982 When HP was growing from $1B to $2B worldwide there was only a rudimentary Induction program

When I took over the training of Sales Reps in Australia I insisted that we created an Induction program that started on their first morning; because after even one day on the job they picked up both desirable and undesirable traits from their new set of colleagues

Recall what those first couple of lunches might be like. HP had its own very strong culture; well studied and documented, known as the HP Way. So the innocent mind was full of curiosity. Just imagine how many times they had the opportunity to be told: "They tell you this, but it's all BS" from the remaining cynical ones

But if we got to them first, we could get a framework in place well before the coffee machine culture got a chance

And never forget that the very best way to learn is to get the trainee to teach -- so far out on the learning pendulum that it defies comparison

So to me, while it is a nice convenient expression it does not reflect any sort of reality, statistics not withstanding, taking place in that informal learning community

• Michael | 22 Aug 2016, 04:23 PM Agree 0
    Well put Professor Simon. There is no quick fix. There is no magical 70/30/10 that is applicable across the board.
  • Charles Jennings | 23 Aug 2016, 12:18 AM Agree 0
    This link may help to clarify for anyone who may think the 'numbers' are at the centre of the 70:20:10 model.

http://charles-jennings.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/70-20-10-origin-research-purpose.html

All learning is contextual. There's plenty of research that indicates most adult learning occurs in the workplace and not in the classroom. Of course that doesn't mean formal learning is not important. It can be vital. However unless we can help people learn effectively from their experiences and their networks/connections we are missing a huge opportunity.

Vast amounts of time, effort and money is wasted every year by taking people away from the context of their workplace, training them, and hoping that their new learning transfers into improved performance. Much of it doesn't. In his recent 'Leadership BS' book, Jeffrey Pfeffer, professor at Stanford Graduate School of Business, quotes a Corporate Leadership Council study that found that "people management training improved productivity by only 2%". To be honest, it's surprising it was as much as that.
Post a reply