L&D forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Poor management destroys meaningful work: Study

Notify me of new replies via email
Learning and development | 06 Jun 2016, 10:19 AM Agree 0
Organisations that get meaningful work right are more likely to attract, retain, and motivate employees, suggests new research.
  • Tanya Carleton | 07 Jun 2016, 08:07 AM Agree 0
    A must read for managers. Creating an environment where employees consider their work meaningful is a key to business sustainability, improvement and the retention of the right people in any organisation.
  • Bernie Althofer | 08 Jun 2016, 11:02 AM Agree 0
    What happens in those organisations that promote technical people into management positions, and then find that employees continually complain about the manager? It appears that in some cases, some of these 'managers' think they are doing a great job and are supported by the CEO, when feedback indicates the opposite.

Some workers really appreciate the time a manager takes to stop by and check how they are going; listen to their concerns about workplace issues; address those concerns; and work with them to provide some meaning to their work. Walking past a worker and apparently ignoring them can signify many things to a worker, but a quick 'how are you today?" can be beneficial. It might also be beneficial if a manager takes time out of their schedule to discuss with a worker where the organisation is going, what the manager and the worker can do to help the organisation, and why contributions are important.

I find it interesting discussing work related issues with workers who say they only time the manager was 'seemingly interested' in what they had been doing was at the 'annual performance' discussion, even though there had been periodic discussions about work issues.

There are no doubt many great managers and leaders out there. However, in smaller organisations, the problem is magnified when there are one or two people in management positions who don't seem to understand the need to also focus on people and the need to create some meaning for those people. When people have no meaning, they may only turn up for the money (pay day) and go through the motions of just doing enough, and be actively seeking alternative employment.

In my view, if you want to enhance retention and create some meaning for employees, as a manager, you need to make time to talk with the people.
  • Marc Lyons, BLSC | 08 Jun 2016, 05:30 PM Agree 0
    Whilst I agree that meaninglessness is a major motivational factor, this is still a leadership issue. To introduce meaninglessness in a meaningful requires leadership capability, as does the ability to recognise the issue in the first place. Concentrate on recruiting for and developing people skills, communication and leadership, it delivers far more sustainable results.
  • BillFotsch | 01 Aug 2016, 11:00 PM Agree 0
    How many employees go to work to make money? How many companies are focused on making money? Recognizing that the vast majority of employees and companies have this common interest, why not collaborate on making money? Trust and engagement come from economic transparency, enabling employees to think and act like owners. The information captures their minds and the trust captures their hearts. Companies like Southwest Airlines, Capital One and BHP Billiton, (clients of mine), treat their employees like trusted business partners, enabling them to make more money for their company and themselves. They consistently see both profits and engagement soar. This Forbes article provides more background: http://www.forbes.com/sites/fotschcase/2016/05/31/engage-your-employees-in-making-money/
    Minneapolis based Carlson Travel is a great example, as can be seen in their 3 minute call center video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RJAEHPOxPQ
Post a reply