L&D forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Vocational sector slams proposed loans overhaul

Notify me of new replies via email
Learning and development | 25 Oct 2016, 01:23 PM Agree 0
The vocational education industry has warned of job losses and that 500,000 Australians could miss out on training if the government’s plans for a VET overhaul are carried out
  • Ready2030 | 25 Oct 2016, 05:33 PM Agree 0
    The education system needs a huge overhaul. Many students go through the system to get their qualifications but end up not being able to use them. The reason for this is that " qualifications do not get get you the job, but recent work experience does". So if a person does a qualification hoping to gain employment he / she may end up being very disappointed. This is especially true if you have been unemployed for more than 2 years, and do something like a Cert IV in Business Management. How is anyone going to get a job in i.e. Management if he/ she has not go any recent work experience? Some training providers take advantage of students, knowing full well that most industries will not hire people that have not got a recent work experience in the same field as their qualification. Some qualification like Cert IV in Counselling are pointless unless you go on to Uni but yet RTO's offer a carrot on a stick to students, by providing false hope.

I think that there should be requirements built into any VET qualification that a RTO or TAFE needs to also provide a venue for on real on the job training. This could be done by careers advisers linking students up with work experience within various companies or Gov and Non Gov employers.
Post a reply