L&D forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Why on the job learning isn’t always superior

Notify me of new replies via email
Learning and development | 26 Feb 2016, 12:07 PM Agree 0
Think learning on the job is more effective and efficient than learning off the job? Think again.
  • Gordon Sanderson | 26 Feb 2016, 03:08 PM Agree 0
    I would think this is mostly true of skill based learning. Certainly where health and safety issues are a factor certified type learning is a must. Where on the job earning excels in my view is building capability beyond the learned skill, into the areas of making decisions within the scope of the job, organisational competence, problem solving, even learning to be adaptable and embrace change. Where employees are given the autonomy within their roles to take on responsibility for growth, are not fearful of consequences, but are supported by managers to thrive the whole organisation benefits through a more capable workforce.
  • Lam | 26 Feb 2016, 03:23 PM Agree 0
    I quite agree with Simons that on the job learning may not be superior. This is especially detrimental both to the company and the new or young staff when they pick up bad habits, bad behavior and wrong mindsets from their seniors. In many cases, even if we are able to identify a good senior staff to coach the new or young staff, there is always a sense of limited supply of good staff against a whole bunch of new or young staff.
  • DJ | 26 Feb 2016, 05:10 PM Agree 0
    While I agree, this is equally true of all other types of learning. A bad example is a bad example, regardless of the learning method.
Post a reply