If you are, you will know that achieving this can be easier said than done. But as learning and development leader, Marina Theodotou, told Chief Learning Officer
, building a learning strategy “is a key CLO mandate”.
“Chief learning officers can add significant value to a learning strategy by aligning learning with the CEO’s agenda,”
To begin the process, Theodotou says CLOs and their teams can begin a dialogue with the CEO and his or her team to discuss the following four questions:
1. How can we map learning to the CEO’s agenda?
2. How can we align learning with development resources?
- Ensure that learning programs map to the business wins defined in the CEO’s agenda for the next 3-5 years.
- Describe any repercussions in the CEO agenda across the organisation’s key lines of business.
- Articulate learning and development success metrics for these wins.
- Define the key competencies all business leaders will need to achieve these wins and these metrics.
3. How can we gain buy-in for the learning agenda?
- Develop all new learning offerings — courses, webcasts, content — to map to the CEO agenda.
- Ensure existing content maps to the CEO agenda by revising as needed.
- Confirm that instructional design methods align with content development needs.
- Create methodologies to measure the impact of learning on the CEO’s key agenda items.
4. How can we activate the learning agenda
- Articulate the strategic logic in how the learning agenda aligns with the business wins.
- Discuss with key stakeholders, including HR, finance and lines of business how changes brought on by the learning agenda may impact them.
- Engage key champions, including the CEO, to support the learning agenda.
- Build a governance mechanism to ensure the learning agenda adapts to changing learning needs.
- Ensure all stakeholders are on board.
- Communicate the launch for the learning agenda.
- Provide periodic updates about small and big wins resulting from activating the learning agenda.
- Keep communication channels open, and keep listening to the lines of business.
- Evaluate the success of the activation and recalibrate.
Are you a leader who is seeking to build alignment between learning and business strategy through a learning culture?